Which of these professional copywriting skills would you MOST like to master?
Focus on your reader so they do what you want.
Create powerful plans that save you time and effort
Structure your copy for maximum impact.
Identify and modify tone of voice using simple tricks.
Write persuasive copy in Plain English.
Bend or break the “rules” to achieve different effects.
Craft compelling headlines that draw your reader into your body copy.
Master insider tricks for keeping readers hooked and hungry.
Improve your copy through sharper editing and checking.
Use specific disciplines to write effective web copy.
You don’t have to choose – you’ll master them all!
What former students say…
“Just a quickie to say thanks so much for Breakthrough Copywriting. It’s brilliant! I have to say, as great as [noted guru] is, the course and materials that you’ve put together are far, far superior to the course that he started. Fantastic work!”
Laura Silcock, Copywriter
“The course has significantly increased my confidence and helped me win my biggest client to date. I can’t recommend it highly enough.”
Sarah Russell, RussellWrites
“My client-base has changed dramatically, as has my turnover, which has increased by 73%.”
Sally Ormond, Briar Copywriting
“The program is packed with everything you need to succeed. It’s a great chance to study the insider secrets of one of the greatest copywriters of our time. Sign up now. Sign up fast.”
Ian Marshall, profitspassionpurpose.com
“I like the course because it forces you to learn actively. The tools, techniques and examples give just enough input to guide the student in the right direction.”
Sally Bibb, Engaging Minds
“The main thing I’ve gained is a thorough understanding of my craft; Andy makes sure you have ticked all the boxes. I feel confident when I’m talking to clients that I am delivering what their business needs.”
Katherine Wildman, Haydn Grey
Your journey to copywriting superstardom starts here…
Could this be the day you start taking your copywriting where you know it belongs?
The day you start to get what you want…
…higher sales … more clients … a better income … or a new and better job.
If you like the sound of that, your business career could be about to change. For the better.
Hi. I’m Andy Maslen and I’d like to invite you to join a group of marketeers, entrepreneurs and copywriters who have mastered the art and craft of copywriting on our course: Breakthrough Copywriting.
You will see how to use professional copywriting techniques to explode the results you get from your copy. From websites and emails to sales letters and social media ads. And all at your own pace.
Watch the video: copywriters say why the course works
The guy speaking is Damien Seaman, copywriter and crime writer. He was was one of our first students and now works with direct response legend, Drayton Bird.
Learn direct from a copywriting master
As you go through the course you see and hear me teach you, in widescreen, HD video, exactly how to turn out high quality marketing copy. From the way you plan to your first draft, from your editing process to the way you check your work. From openings to closes and everything in between.
Best of all, all the videos are all hosted on this website. So once you’ve enrolled, you can watch them on your PC, Mac, tablet, smartphone or even on your TV.
There are special pages on this site where you can study my model answers for the exercises.
All yours – 10 online video seminars and 300-page course manual
The course takes you, step-by-step through every aspect of writing fantastic, results-getting, client-pleasing copy. You get ten video seminars including a special bonus session, plus 33 practical exercises to complete.
The 300-page course manual is a handy reference with further reading, a readymade swipe file and all the exercises from the course.
On its own it would more than justify your investment in the course. In fact, there’s probably as much or more information in it than other courses give you as their only offer. Scroll down to the next section to see just how much you can learn from the manual alone.
The manual contains these extra sections:
- Appendix 1 Further reading – a list of books specially selected by me to add to your understanding of the craft of copywriting.
- Appendix 2 Glossary – every single technical term in the manual explained, from ‘catfish’ to ‘passive voice’.
- Appendix 3 Andy Maslen F IDM – your way to check my credentials.
- Appendix 4 Swipe file starter pack – a selection of classic and contemporary copywriting for you to learn from and use as the basis of your own swipe file.
- Appendix 5 Index – a fast way to find the section you’re looking for.
What you learn – the course content
Session 1: Getting Ready for Action
- “The main part of the copywriter’s job is thinking.”
- Exercise 1 The Planning Dividend
- The benefits of planning
- What does ‘planning’ even mean?
- Who are you writing to?
- Exercise 2: Prospect research
- The classic rationalist assumption that ruins good copywriters
- “Stop being so emotional”
- Exercise 3: Uncovering your prospect’s motivations
- Deadly sin headlines
- Planning essentials – how to do it
- The copywriting brief
- Brand guidelines and what to do about them
- Exercise 4: Picturing your prospect
Session 2: Three Useful Planning Tools
- Feeling groovy
- What do you want them to know?
- Exercise 5: Turning features into benefits part 1
- Exercise 6: Turning features into benefits part 2
- Objection Overcome
- Exercise 7: Objection Overcome
- Appealing to your prospect’s self-interest
- Exercise 8: After reading my copy, my prospect will:
- Introducing The Time Machine
- Exercise 9: KFC
Session 3: Structuring your copy for maximum impact
- The killer structure that guarantees selling power
- Exercise 10: Grabbing Dave’s attention
- The big idea
- The $2 billion sales letter
- Exercise 11: Making benefits interesting
- Go for the big benefit
- Keeping up with the Joneses
- Down-to-earth language
- Other structural copy planning tools
- Exercise 12: Analysing a sales letter for AIDCA
Session 4: Mastering tone of voice
- What is tone of voice?
- Why does tone of voice matter?
- Exercise 13: Recognising tone of voice
- How do you create a tone of voice?
- Changing vocabulary
- Changing syntax
- How do you modify tone of voice?
- Exercise 14: From impersonal to personal – changing tones
- Exercise 15: Cashing in on register
- Judging tone of voice
- How far should you go?
- Exercise 16: Modifying tone of voice
Session 5: The simple style that sells part 1
- Exercise 17: Defining a paragraph
- Look out! The Anglo-Saxons are coming
- Exercise 18: Using Plain English words and phrases
- Exercise 19: Rewriting noun-heavy copy
Session 6: The simple style that sells part 2
- Punctuation power
- Active versus passive voice
- Positive not negative
- Metaphors, similes, clichés and more
- The usual suspects: five types of copy to avoid
- Ripping up the rule-book
- Split infinitives
- Conjunctions at the start of sentences
- Prepositions at the end of sentences
- Turning nouns into verbs
- Starting sentences with adverbs
- Enough already with the rules
- Exercise 20: What Plain English sales copy sounds like
Session 7: How I learned to stop worrying and love writing headlines
- How to create a winning headline
- Practical advice
- The thrill of the new
- Tell us a story
- Scare the pants off them
- Questions, questions, questions
- Exercise 21: Headlines for your product
Session 8: Tips and tricks the experts would rather keep to themselves
- Staying focused on your prospect
- Exercise 22: Retelling a case study as a story
- Essential ingredients
- Exercise 23: Story opening for an email
- Creativity and fresh ideas
- Techniques for keeping your prospect on the hook
- Layout tricks
- Sentence length
- Don’t be boring
- The seven mystical words of power
Session 9: Editing and proofing your copy
- Ten-step editing checklist
- Introducing the PLUSS dashboard
- Exercise 24: Using the PLUSS dashboard
- Three pro-editing tips
- Cut unnecessary words
- Exercise 25: Cutting unnecessary adjectives and adverbs
- Exercise 26: Translating clichés into Plain English
- Woolly phrases
- Exercise 27: Tightening flabby copy
- Exercise 28: Making redundancies
- Abstract nouns
- Exercise 29: Pouring concrete on abstract nouns
- Proof-reading – our boring but necessary friend
Exercise 30: Review of progress
Session 10: Writing copy for the web
- Internet copywriting myths and what to do about them
- Seven golden rules for successful copywriting for the web…
- … and three web-specific disciplines to learn
- SEO and what to do about it
- Keyword density
- Keyword optimisation
- Keyword consistency
- Exercise 31: Writing SEO copy
- Meta tags
- Title tag
- Description tag
- Keyword tag
- Exercise 32: Writing tags
- Style for the web
- Exercise 33: Copywriting for the web should be:
- Email copywriting
- Subject and from fields
- HTML or plain text
- Tone and style
- Spam filters
- Is selling possible?
- A/B testing
A peep into the future
A short chapter with some predictions for copywriting.
Bonus session – how to ‘sell’ your copy
Ideas and advice on how to persuade the decision-makers that you know what you’re talking about.
About your tutor
I have been a professional copywriter since 1986. For ten years I learnt my craft in the marketing department of a research publisher.
I wrote direct mail letters, brochures, leaflets, press ads, exhibition materials, catalogues, web pages, press releases, emails, slogans, reports…pretty much everything you can think of.
Then, in 1996, I left to set up my own copywriting agency – Sunfish. We write marketing and advertising campaigns, digital content and corporate communications for some big names like The Economist, as well as start-ups and SMEs.
I have trained and coached around 2,500 copywriters, both in small groups in-house and on my public and distance learning courses.
I’m the author of five books on copywriting including Write to Sell and Persuasive Copywriting.
My approach to training is very hands on and consultative. My aim is to help you get a firm grip on the skills that can propel you into the ranks of the world’s best – and highest-paid – copywriters.
Special bonus gift worth £37
Order the course now and you will receive a special bonus gift: a free copy of our Power Presenting toolkit.
You get a 31-page e-book and two ready-to-use sample presentations.
I normally charge £37 for the package but as a “thank you” for enrolling it’s yours free.
“Just a quick note to say what a brilliant resource you included in your email. I battled with ‘The Fear’ for years each time I had to present in my former career (PR), which really was a pain considering I was constantly pitching or having to present project reviews to clients. Your ebook not only made me smile, but also made me realise how common it is to experience the unpleasant effects of adrenaline at the very moment you want to look your most professional – even for those who are very good at hiding it!” Sally May
How it works
Enrolling on Breakthrough Copywriting is quick and easy. Just complete the form below and you’ll be taken straight to the web page of our payment partners, Eventbrite.
Let’s just remind ourselves of your tuition package:
- 10 video seminars, lasting on average 26 minutes (5.5 hours in total) – all in crisp, clear HD video.
- Bonus video on how to ‘sell’ your copy.
- Fully-indexed 300-page course manual.
- 33 practical exercises with model answers on the Academy website.
Order now risk-free and join the elite group of copywriters already benefiting from my teaching — just £297 + VAT
Just fill in this simple form and you’ll be benefiting from the power-packed copywriting advice in this course within a couple of minutes. As soon as we receive confirmation from our payment partner – Eventbrite – we will send you an email with links to all the course videos.