Breakthrough Copywriting: sharpen up your skills with this easy-to-follow online course
What would your life be like if every word you wrote worked like a magnet on your prospects? You could sell more stuff, for more money, to more people, more of the time.
And what would that mean for you personally? Better assignments? Fatter profits? Bigger pay rises? More holidays? More frequent promotions?
A marketing director explains why she loves Breakthrough Copywriting
Learn from the author of Write to Sell
Hi. I’m Andy Maslen.In case you don’t know me, I’ve written copy for clients including The Economist, Prudential, World Vision and Christies. And I wrote Write to Sell, Persuasive Copywriting and three other copywriting books. Whatever you want to achieve with your copywriting, I can help you. I have also taught copywriting to over 3,000 copywriters, entrepreneurs and marketers.
So when I wanted to pass on what I’d learned I thought, what would I have wanted, back in the mid-1980s? And the answer was, a step-by-step, practical course that would lead me through all the different aspects of copywriting. A knowledgeable, friendly teacher. And plenty of opportunities to review and test what I had learnt.
So, I took a career’s worth of copywriting expertise and condensed it into this online course. In full HD video I present and explain the fundamentals of writing to influence, persuade and sell.
Please don’t take my word for it
Introducing Breakthrough Copywriting
I called the course Breakthrough Copywriting. Why? Because it’s designed to help you break through the barriers standing between you and success.
You watch videos. You listen to me as I teach you exactly how I write the copy that has been delighting clients since 1996. And you practise, with dozens of exercises designed to test, inspire and challenge you.
“Looking for easy to implement, straightforward, honest and approachable copywriting training? This is it. The 10 modules are easy to work through and focus on practical advice, not academic fluff. I was worried that it would be either patronising or alienating but Andy’s direct approach and use of examples struck the perfect balance. I am delighted that I did this course and now shudder when re-reading my old copy! You have nothing to lose – just book it and do it now.”
Jossie, Cosmic Ltd., Bermuda.
All yours – 10 online video seminars and 300-page course manual
In the course I take you, step-by-step through every aspect of writing fantastic, results-getting, client-pleasing copy. You get ten video seminars including a special bonus session, plus 33 practical exercises to complete.
The 300-page course manual in convenient, searchable PDF format, is a handy reference with further reading, a readymade swipe file and all the exercises from the course.
On its own it would more than justify your investment in the course. In fact, there’s probably as much or more information in it than other courses give you as their only offer. Scroll down to the next section to see just how much you can learn from the manual alone.
The manual contains these extra sections:
- Appendix 1 Further reading – a list of books specially selected by me to add to your understanding of the craft of copywriting.
- Appendix 2 Glossary – every single technical term in the manual explained, from ‘catfish’ to ‘passive voice’.
- Appendix 3 Andy Maslen F IDM – your way to check my credentials.
- Appendix 4 Swipe file starter pack – a selection of classic and contemporary copywriting for you to learn from and use as the basis of your own swipe file.
- Appendix 5 Index – a fast way to find the section you’re looking for.
See what you could be enjoying seconds from now
What you learn – the course content
Session 1: Getting Ready for Action
- “The main part of the copywriter’s job is thinking.”
- Exercise 1 The Planning Dividend
- The benefits of planning
- What does ‘planning’ even mean?
- Who are you writing to?
- Exercise 2: Prospect research
- The classic rationalist assumption that ruins good copywriters
- “Stop being so emotional”
- Exercise 3: Uncovering your prospect’s motivations
- Deadly sin headlines
- Planning essentials – how to do it
- The copywriting brief
- Brand guidelines and what to do about them
- Exercise 4: Picturing your prospect
Session 2: Three Useful Planning Tools
- Feeling groovy
- What do you want them to know?
- Exercise 5: Turning features into benefits part 1
- Exercise 6: Turning features into benefits part 2
- Objection Overcome
- Exercise 7: Objection Overcome
- Appealing to your prospect’s self-interest
- Exercise 8: After reading my copy, my prospect will:
- Introducing The Time Machine
- Exercise 9: KFC
Session 3: Structuring your copy for maximum impact
- The killer structure that guarantees selling power
- Exercise 10: Grabbing Dave’s attention
- The big idea
- The $2 billion sales letter
- Exercise 11: Making benefits interesting
- Go for the big benefit
- Keeping up with the Joneses
- Down-to-earth language
- Other structural copy planning tools
- Exercise 12: Analysing a sales letter for AIDCA
Session 4: Mastering tone of voice
- What is tone of voice?
- Why does tone of voice matter?
- Exercise 13: Recognising tone of voice
- How do you create a tone of voice?
- Changing vocabulary
- Changing syntax
- How do you modify tone of voice?
- Exercise 14: From impersonal to personal – changing tones
- Exercise 15: Cashing in on register
- Judging tone of voice
- How far should you go?
- Exercise 16: Modifying tone of voice
Session 5: The simple style that sells part 1
- Exercise 17: Defining a paragraph
- Look out! The Anglo-Saxons are coming
- Exercise 18: Using Plain English words and phrases
- Exercise 19: Rewriting noun-heavy copy
Session 6: The simple style that sells part 2
- Punctuation power
- Active versus passive voice
- Positive not negative
- Metaphors, similes, clichés and more
- The usual suspects: five types of copy to avoid
- Ripping up the rule-book
- Split infinitives
- Conjunctions at the start of sentences
- Prepositions at the end of sentences
- Turning nouns into verbs
- Starting sentences with adverbs
- Enough already with the rules
- Exercise 20: What Plain English sales copy sounds like
Session 7: How I learned to stop worrying and love writing headlines
- How to create a winning headline
- Practical advice
- The thrill of the new
- Tell us a story
- Scare the pants off them
- Questions, questions, questions
- Exercise 21: Headlines for your product
Session 8: Tips and tricks the experts would rather keep to themselves
- Staying focused on your prospect
- Exercise 22: Retelling a case study as a story
- Essential ingredients
- Exercise 23: Story opening for an email
- Creativity and fresh ideas
- Techniques for keeping your prospect on the hook
- Layout tricks
- Sentence length
- Don’t be boring
- The seven mystical words of power
Session 9: Editing and proofing your copy
- Ten-step editing checklist
- Introducing the PLUSS dashboard
- Exercise 24: Using the PLUSS dashboard
- Three pro-editing tips
- Cut unnecessary words
- Exercise 25: Cutting unnecessary adjectives and adverbs
- Exercise 26: Translating clichés into Plain English
- Woolly phrases
- Exercise 27: Tightening flabby copy
- Exercise 28: Making redundancies
- Abstract nouns
- Exercise 29: Pouring concrete on abstract nouns
- Proof-reading – our boring but necessary friend
Exercise 30: Review of progress
Session 10: Writing copy for the web
- Internet copywriting myths and what to do about them
- Seven golden rules for successful copywriting for the web…
- … and three web-specific disciplines to learn
- SEO and what to do about it
- Keyword density
- Keyword optimisation
- Keyword consistency
- Exercise 31: Writing SEO copy
- Meta tags
- Title tag
- Description tag
- Keyword tag
- Exercise 32: Writing tags
- Style for the web
- Exercise 33: Copywriting for the web should be:
- Email copywriting
- Subject and from fields
- HTML or plain text
- Tone and style
- Spam filters
- Is selling possible?
- A/B testing
A peep into the future
A short chapter with some predictions for copywriting.
Bonus session – how to ‘sell’ your copy
Ideas and advice on how to persuade the decision-makers that you know what you’re talking about.
Special bonus resources
Order the course now and you will receive a special bonus gift: a free copy of my Power Presenting toolkit.
You get a 31-page e-book and two ready-to-use sample presentations.
“Just a quick note to say what a brilliant resource you included in your email. I battled with ‘The Fear’ for years each time I had to present in my former career (PR), which really was a pain considering I was constantly pitching or having to present project reviews to clients. Your ebook not only made me smile, but also made me realise how common it is to experience the unpleasant effects of adrenaline at the very moment you want to look your most professional – even for those who are very good at hiding it!”
How it works
Enrolling on Breakthrough Copywriting is quick and easy. Just complete the form below and you’ll be taken straight to the web page of our payment partners, Eventbrite.
Here is your tuition package:
- 10 video seminars, lasting on average 26 minutes (5.5 hours in total) – all in crisp, clear HD video.
- Bonus video on how to ‘sell’ your copy.
- Fully-indexed 300-page course manual.
- 33 practical exercises with model answers on the Academy website.
Order now risk-free and join the elite group of copywriters already benefiting from my teaching — SPECIAL OFFER, JUST £97 + VAT
Just fill in this simple form and you’ll be benefiting from the power-packed copywriting advice in this course within a couple of minutes. As soon as we receive confirmation from our payment partner – Eventbrite – we will send you an email with links to all the course videos.
JUST SELECT THE NEXT AVAILABLE DATE FROM THE DROP-DOWN FORM – WE’LL SEND YOUR ONLINE MATERIALS IMMEDIATELY WE RECEIVE YOUR ORDER. If you get a ‘sales ended’ message do not worry! Just select the next date.